Presentation: Internet Safety for Parents
What are our children actually doing online and are they hiding anything from us? Michigan Tech will host an
safety training for parents.
This is a free event open only to adults due to the subject matter. Please RSVP here.
Special Agent (SA) Todd Wilton, assigned to U.S. Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, will be teaching parents, teachers and guardians the risks/consequences and ways to protect our kids from online predators, high risk social media apps (75+), sextortion, sexting, cyberbullying and many more of the dangers aimed at our children on the internet.
The World Wide Web has no boundaries and our children are no more isolated in the Upper Peninsula than anywhere else. SA Wilton will bridge the gap between the generations and provide basic/discreet computer/telephone forensic training for monitoring our children’s online activities.
The presentation is very real and fact based. Audiences have referred to it as “eye opening” and “a powerful message.” Audiences are encouraged to take notes and/or pictures for their future reference. In addition, instructional manuals referred to as “Smart Cards” for monitoring social media will be disseminated electronically to anyone interested.
Actual case examples will be discussed, which include explicit conversations among children and online predators, as well as training that is not subject for children, as we don’t want to teach them anything they don’t already know.
- The Internet has become the preferred playground for child sex predators seeking innocent young victims.
- Last year alone, HSI special agents logged nearly a million hours working child sexual exploitation cases, opening more than 4,000 investigations.
- Research shows one in 25 children ages 10 to 17 have received an online sexual overture where the person attempted to meet the child face-to-face.
- Every week there are over 20,000 images of child pornography is posted on the web.
- Illegal child pornography is offered by approximately 100,000 websites.
Additional parent presentations (open to the community) are being held:
4/24 at 6:30PM Houghton High School
4/26 at 6:30PM Jeffers High School
Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Memorial Union Building (MUB), Ballroom B3
1503 Townsend Drive, Houghton, MI 49931